Need to do some grocery shopping? Care to double your "support local" efforts--buying local produce while supporting a local org? Shop at the Interbay Whole Foods, bring your reusable bag, and you can choose to give CoolMom your 5-cent refund until August 3rd.
Here's how Whole Foods describes the program: "Did you know that Whole Foods Market gives customers a 5-cent credit for reusing their own shopping bags? Did you know that we also have a program where customers can donate that credit to local nonprofit organizations? If you are a customer who reuses bags to save paper, consider donating your credit to our designated non-profit. Thanks to all our environmentally conscious customers for supporting the following organizations."
We appreciate Whole Foods' support and encourage everyone to bring their bags to shop at the Interbay Whole Foods and support CoolMom from the end of July until August 3rd!
CoolMom is a nonprofit organization based in Seattle, WA whose mission is to unite moms and families to make informed lifestyle choices, protect our climate, and advocate for a healthy planet. Established in 2007, CoolMom’s vision is a healthy planet for kids and families. CoolMom works with the environmental community to help moms and families reduce their carbon footprint through our programs. Climate change is shaping our children’s future. It is the most important issue of our time. If we do not take important steps in all levels of government and in our communities and homes, we will leave behind little resources and challenging times for our children.
CoolMom is directed by a volunteer board and operates with the help of neighborhood chapter leads. For more information, please visit www.coolmom.org.
We have many wonderful volunteers and successful programs. For example, our Think Outside the Car project helps educate and connect a community. The program allows for families and residents to get involved through community. It promotes better health, cleaner air, and money and energy savings for families. We also encourage families to start Walking School Buses and Bike Trains. One elementary school took on this campaign in the Spring of 2011 and reduced their car idling by more than 88%!
Our newest project is the Local Low Waste Lunchbox. The project promotes local low waste lunches in partnership with local food suppliers and low waste products.
The Need: CoolMom needs a Communications Coordinator who can promote and implement our successful programs.
• Conduct outreach to engage members, coalition partners, and the public in our campaigns.
• Gather and write inspirational stories for the website including the Tip of the Month.
• Coordinate CoolMom’s social media presence, including Facebook and Twitter.
• Write and distribute a monthly email newsletter.
• Communication maintenance duties such as responding to inquiry emails, maintaining contacts, and attending monthly board meetings
• Duties may include occasionally presenting CoolMom’s policy goals in legislative sessions or other forums.Your Skills & Interests:
• Enthusiasm, energy and a passion for our mission!
• Ability to engage and work with the community, members and environmental nonprofits in the area.
• Excellent communication skills, written and oral.
• Knowledge of the climate change crisis preferred.
• Prior nonprofit experience preferred.Your Commitment:
• We anticipate about 10 hours a week working from home.
• This position starts as a volunteer position with stipend. As program funding is secured by theBoard, the Communication Coordinator position may turn into a paid position.
Position is open until filled; first consideration will be given to applications received by May 16, 2014. Please send letter of interest and resume to Sonja Ling at email@example.com.
Sunday, May 11th, noon
Starting at Flo Ware Park in Leschi for a 5.4 mile, easy paced ride to Seward Park. There we will have a picnic lunch provided by Seattle Neighborhood Greenways. Since May 11th is part of Bicycle Sunday, we can also take advantage of car-free riding along Lake Washington Boulevard. Lear more here.
Calling all CoolMoms!The Whole Foods Market in Roosevelt loves CoolMom and supports our work!They have a program where they donate 5% of the proceeds of the store for a day to a non-profit of their choice. They have decided that Wednesday, April 10th, will be the day for CoolMom!! It is short notice but this is a great way for us to reach a new neighborhood of families making good choices for the environment.There are 2 easy ways for you to help:1. Can you spare an hour or two to "table" at Whole Foods tomorrow? We have the materials needed (we'll even have a great t-shirt you can wear) at the store. You can talk to folks about how you got involved and why you're excited about CoolMom. You can contact Nash:firstname.lastname@example.org if you can make it.2. Shop and spread the word for everyone you know to shop tomorrow at the Roosevelt Whole Foods Market (1026 NE 64th St, Seattle, WA 98115).Thank you!! Happy shopping.
Nash Murray and Greenwood CoolMom member, Jenny Rhodes will be speaking with other neighborhood groups about how families can impact climate change through our actions, consumer power, and community.
Learn more about what the neighborhood groups are doing, our Think Outside the Car program, Local Lunch Boxes, and what more we can do to reduce our footprint and impact our communities.