Want to stay more engaged with CoolMom while quickly lending us a helping hand? We're trying to build our social media presence. Your action today would go a long way.
Helping CoolMom is so easy:
We collected 161 seats - 18 to be reused and 143 to recycle. That's a lot of seats diverted from the landfill. Well done! They were all stripped before we closed the trailer door by the end of the day. This was no small feat if you've sat down with a moldy car seat recently...
It was a very satisfying day talking to folks who were so grateful for a green way to dispose of their car seat in the Seattle area. Thank you again to our wonderful volunteers for making this possible!
CoolMom, Zero Waste Washington, WestSide Baby, and Total Reclaim are thrilled to be partnering to collect car seats for recycling and reuse at the Sustainable Ballard Festival on September 28. Our last event in 2013 resulted in more than 300 car seats diverted from landfills and put to good use. We need your help to make our first Car Seat Recycling Program event in 2014 a success. Sign up to volunteer!
Volunteers will help with traffic flow, accepting seats, stripping seats of covers, straps, and foam, and loading them in Total Reclaim's trailer. We'll be in the American West Bank parking lot (formerly Viking Bank, slightly west of Joann's) across from the Ballard Commons Park. Actual collection is 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. so tell your friends and sign up to volunteer! Thank you for all your support!
Climate change is shaping our children’s future. It is the most important issue of our time. CoolMom is a nonprofit organization based in Seattle, WA whose mission is to unite moms and families to make informed lifestyle choices, protect our climate, and advocate for a healthy planet. The organization emphasizes the idea that we can make a difference in our own lives at the same time we advocate for bigger change. First, start with where you live, work, where your kids go to school, and the changes you make ripple out. Secondly, we advocate for changes we need from key decision makers, where Moms and children have a powerful voice. For more information please visit www.coolmom.org.
About the Position
CoolMom is looking for a passionate, energetic, and highly-motivated Executive Director who shares our vision for a healthy planet for kids and families. The Executive Director will be a strong voice in the community for CoolMom, advocating for changes we need from key decision makers and bringing together moms in key areas that can support state legislation on carbon emissions reduction. A strong networker with excellent communication skills and a collaborative spirit will be best suited to help build effective partnerships, coalitions, and community support.
CoolMom has built its successful community programs through the support of a volunteer board and neighborhood chapter leads. The ideal candidate will be equipped to guide the organization through the transition to a staffed organization. The Executive Director will also work alongside the board to develop, implement, and manage fundraising strategies in order to expand CoolMom’s funding base.
The Executive Director will be an organized, flexible self-starter who can manage time and multiple responsibilities effectively from their remote home office. This contract position has initial funding for at least six months. The Board and Executive Director will work together to build on that base.
Specific Duties will include:
- Grow CoolMom’s funding base and community impact.
- Support Board fundraising efforts and conduct fundraising in partnership with the Board.
- Work with board to develop a sustainable organization, recommending strategic staff additions as budget allows.
- Strategy development, advocacy with decision makers, participating in coalitions, and presenting CoolMom’s policy goals in legislative sessions or other forums.
- Work with core partners to develop the CoolMom mission.
- Work collaboratively with partners and leverage the professional network to bring additional strategic partners into our campaigns.
- Conduct outreach to engage members, coalition partners, and the public in our campaigns.
- Keep Board of Directors informed of funding opportunities and public inquiries beyond the scope of the job.
- Conduct duties such as maintaining contacts and attending monthly board meetings.
- Time commitment will be 30 hours a week, working from home.
Ideal Skills & Interests
- Enthusiasm, energy and a passion for our mission!
- Interest and skills in helping a start up with a proven track record move to the next level.
- Ability to guide an organization through the transition from volunteer-centric to sustainability staffed.
- Experience with non-profit development, including major donors and foundation grants.
- Non-profit management or organizational development experience.
- Ability to engage and work with the community, members, and environmental non-profits in the area.
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral.
- Knowledge of the climate change crisis preferred.
- Field organizing experience desired.
Position posted September 2014. Open until filled with first consideration going to early applicants. Please send letter of interest and resume to Sonja Ling at firstname.lastname@example.org. CoolMom is an equal-opportunity employer.
If you live in the Seattle area and would like to get more connected to moms and families at CoolMom, you can join:
- North Seattle CoolMoms Yahoo Group
- Ballard CoolMoms Yahoo Group
- West Seattle CoolMoms contact: email@example.com
Need more info on getting connected?